What To Do If You Are Highly Sensitive To Smells!

lady holding her nose

Are you highly sensitive to smells? 

Not only do I have allergies, but I come from a long line of sensitive noses and inherited the “I can smell everything” gene.

My Mother has a sensitive nose, and so did my Grandmother.

My husband calls me a bloodhound, as my sensitive nose drives him crazy! 

I can smell everything good and bad wherever we go! 

Most times wherever we are, the smells are toxic!

Exposure to toxins can create migraines, sneezing, wheezing and itching.

The items below are just some of the awful toxins that seem to be everywhere:

  • Chlorine
  • Ammonia
  • Bleach
  • Perfume
  • Hairspray
  • Cleaners with chlorine or bleach
  • Smoke from cigarettes, wood-burning fireplaces, etc.
  • Nail Polish
  • Perm Solution
  • Smoke
  • Mold

Some folks are extremely sensitive to toxins and suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS).  

MultipleChemicalSensitivity.org describes MCS in broad terms as an unusually severe sensitivity or allergy-like reaction to many different kinds of pollutants including solvents, VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds), perfumes, petrol, diesel, smoke, “chemicals” in general and often encompasses problems with regard to pollen, house dust mites, and pet fur & dander.

It’s difficult to find any place that doesn’t have some sort of toxic smells such as hair salons, nail salons, paint stores, sporting events, movie theaters, malls, and even churches.

If you know the places you frequent have toxic smells, the best thing to do unfortunately is avoid them.

Even many homes have toxic cleaners and mold, so it’s important to replace toxic cleaners with non toxic unscented cleaners and allergy proof your home as you have more control over your own home, than you do with outside factors. 

If real estate agents or workers will be coming into your home, advise them in advance that you are sensitive to perfumes and colognes and ask them to not wear them.

Same goes if you are having a party or gathering at your house with family and friends!

If you are having house guests, let them know in advance that you are highly sensitive to perfume, hairspray, hair gel, and scented soaps and deodorants.

Speaking of deodorant, here’s my favorite one that’s scent free!  Check out the video!

It goes on lightly and is residue free, and contains no harmful chemicals, aluminum chlorohydrate, aluminum zirconium, parabens or phthalates.

It’s also hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested and even recommended by cancer treatment centers.

Here is a scent free product list that you can download and print. You can use these products in your home and keep available for guests when they visit.

Click https://energyfitgirl.com/sense-of-smell/ to read more about oversensitive sense of smell and toxins.

Are you sensitive to smells?

Please leave a comment!

TOPIC: What To Do If You Are Highly Sensitive To Smells!

16 thoughts on “What To Do If You Are Highly Sensitive To Smells!

  1. I find I smell things others don’t. It’s annoying when I smell something unpleasant and can’t find the source right away.

  2. I’m not sure when you wrote this, so I hope you still read your comments! I went looking for people like me and cannot believe how much you sound like me. I can sit on my front pirch and tell you someone, somewhere, is burning something. We have two dogs, and when we have to leave for extended periods of time, they stay in the basement. When we walk in the door, before I’m anywhere close to the basement, and before we have opened the basement door, if they’ve had an accident I can immediately tell. I CONSTANTLY respond to a kiss from my boyfriend with, “did you just eat _________? We have been together 3 years now, and it still amazes him every time that I know. Those are just a few of the things I identified with in your post. Lol. Does your sense of smell ever translate to taste as well? I can taste things much stronger than other people can. I can’t add certain spices, even in pinches, when I cook because it overwhelms my mouth. I can taste things in others cooking that nobody else can taste but constantly affirmed that it is there when I ask the cook. I also get strong tastes in my mouth related to what I smell, especially unpleasant odors. Final thing, I do smoke, and I know its strange coming from someone who knows how hard smell sensitivity is. They say smoking dulls your sense of taste and smell, so I am afraid to quit because I worry how much more intense both of those senses would be for me.

    1. Hi Beckie, it’s nice to know that someone out there can relate to my sensitive smell. Sometimes it’s a good thing, and sometimes it’s annoying. Thanks for the comment!

  3. Wow I’m very much the same in ways, though I’m only seventeen. I tend to smell things that most people around me c me can’t smell. I would ask “what is that smell?” Only to have them reply with “what smell?”. They think I’m crazy. Certain smells make my head hurt or cause head aches and sometimes if strong enough, nausea. I can smell oil used in the kitchen from my room. But my siblings cannot smell it, in fact they don’t even think it has a scent at all. Its extremely annoying around smokers like my dad, but extremely useful in certain situations.

  4. I’m not for sure what’s worse, bleach smell or polyester smell. I remember years ago, when I use to work at Burger King, an older lady with a polyester shirt was in front of me (I was a cashier at that time). I could hardly breath! I had to breath through my mouth, which didn’t help much. Also, I’ve told my Dad and his girlfriend not to use bleach when they mop, but use the lemon disinfectant instead. I told them in a polite way the reason why I don’t want bleach being used, mainly because I can’t breath. They didn’t listen. I appreciate her helping out, but it really ticked me off when no one listens nor understands why bleach can’t be used around me.

    1. Hi Andrea, that’s too bad that no one listens about the bleach because it’s so toxic. Maybe you can find interesting articles on the subject and show them? I hope it works out for you! Thanks so much for the post!

  5. Wow glad to see Im not alone. I drive everyone crazy with my “can u smell that , ugh what is that smell. OMG I cant stand the smell.lol I can walk in the store & smell moldy fruit right away. Any fish smell does me in Im soo sick. I also can smell mold mildew dead mice. For years I complained I smelt dead mice or blood everyone thought I was bitching, turns out the walls were infested with live, dead mice 100s of them. Had to tear them down. They still think Im a pain but they tend to believe me now. Ive told my realator friend. U should hire me to go inspect smell houses for mold mildew , mice etc. Don’t even get me started on pet smells. Ive been looking for a car & house but they all stink. Is there anything to stop this over smelling.

  6. I am not sure when you wrote this but I also am extremely sensitive to scents in the air. There are several women I work with that wear very strong, smelly perfumes/body sprays that literally make me cough and choke when I am around them. One of them constantly resprays before she goes to lunch so I have to walk through a cloud of it to get to another part of the office! I really choke and gag then. My family gets mad at me when I say something about a particular smell because it really bothers me and they always tell me that I am making it up. I really wish there was something that could be done to make me not so sensitive since I usually end up with a migraine from most of these odors. The only scents that do not bother me are vanilla & cinnamon. Cigarette smoke is a bad one for triggering my migraines.

    1. Hi Ann, I can completely relate to your situation. The part about respraying before lunch sounds horrible. It’s hard because you would love to say something, but it’s so awkward and you don’t know how they will react. By the way I like cinnamon too! Thanks for commenting and have a great (unscented) day!! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *