Many of us like to travel, but some have allergies and are sensitive to toxins. Sometimes it makes travel challenging, especially when dealing with hotels that use scented cleaners.
I don’t know about you, but things such as toxic cleaners and perfume, give me allergies, headaches and sometimes causes nausea.
In allergy proofing my home, and switched to non toxic cleaners. Unfortunately, hotels are a little tough to allergy proof, unless you live there!
Trying to be clean, most hotels use cleaners in the bathroom, and on the carpet, furniture, and windows. There’s even a scent when they was the linens.
Call In Advance!
I have a friend who calls hotels in advance and requests unscented and non-toxic cleaners, I do the same!
If you suffer from allergies and sensitivities, here are some things to request next time you book a hotel room.
- Request unscented cleaners and no air-fresheners (definitely NO Febreeze!)
- A window that opens so fresh air can come in
- Air Conditioner (hopefully it’s not a loud blower)
- Location not located near the pool (due to chlorine smell)
- Ask if room can be aired out two hours prior to arrival to remove scents and stuffiness
- Ceiling Fan is preferable
- No outside gas fumes from fireplaces
- Floor or ceiling fan (you may also want to bring your own)
- Ionizer (you may want to bring your own)
- If you are staying a while, you may want to bring a small bottle of your own cleaners.
Additional items you can request to make your stay more comfortable:
- Restaurant onsite or Walking distance to coffee shops and restaurants
- Free parking
- Quiet area not near loud traffic
- Flat Screen TV
- A coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator, just in case you bring your own food.
I realize that most hotels cannot accommodate EVERYTHING on this list, but why not try, right? We bring our own pillows and a fan too!
Part of a healthy living plan is controlling allergies even when booking hotels. If you suffer from allergies, make sure you call the hotel with your needs.
As I mentioned, we carry a fan when we go on vacation and it helps circulate the air. Check out the link below.